Sunday 27 January 2013

From the seventies but still not going downhill

The awesome vintage ski jacket I was wearing today was bought for a tenner fifteen years ago in a Fort William charity shop. 
At the time hubby was doing snowboard instructing at a ski center and I was trying really hard to find a job. 
As we were quite skint we rented a microscopical room in a house owned by what we thought to be a widower.
Only after we'd moved in he told us that his wife had not long eloped to Spain with another man.
It was an odd experience to say the least, we'd hear him argue and plead with his wife on the phone in the middle of the night and whenever we went into the kitchen he'd corner us and talk incessantly about her. 
He was also rather keen on wandering around in his underpants when he'd had a few too many swallies. 
Our little nook comprised of a double bed that dwarfed the room and a chest of drawers with a black and white camping telly & a kettle perched on top of it, there was also a small built in wardrobe, that you couldn't open properly cause there wasn't enough space. 
There were no jobs in Fort William so I spent a whole month holed up in that tiny room watching crap daytime TV and eating Pot Noodles. 
In the end I had to leave my beloved to his snow covered hills and jump on a bus to London.
This jacket was bought with giro money on my last day in Fort William and I remember wearing it for the entire duration of the ten hour bus journey down south cause it was absolutely freezing. 
I sat together with a bald, toothless weegie who had just been paroled & he was plying me with sickly sweet MD 20/20 and telling really crap jokes but he still had me in stitches.
I've had fifteen years of wear out of this jacket and it is still going strong.
70s ski jacket,  80s Wrangler cowboy boots, 90s velvet jumpsuit, wide mock-croc belt, knitted scarf & sequin beret.
I'm not the only one in this house who poses for pics by the way. 
Here's Mark showing that anything I can do, he can do better...
Mark has been feeling a little bit blue this weekend cause the ski center that he used to instruct at is open for business with powder galore, I believe my man is pining for the hills.
To cheer ourselves up we revisited the pub that we went to last Sunday cause they were hosting a vintage jumble today. 
I'm hoping to get a space here myself next time, fingers crossed. 
The pub has got a really nice, laid-back vibe & the monthly vintage jumble was well stocked, cheap and cheerful, just how I like it.
Did I buy anything?
You will just have to wait and see ;)
Have a fab Sunday folks!
Lot's of love,
Jennie
xXx



11 comments:

Helga said...

O,fark,what a brillant story of how you came to own that splendid jacket!!!
Good to see Mark is as good a poseur as my G! They secretly love it, o yes.
Funny you were saying that you've ordered a vegan meal and ended up with a plate full of dairy; it's right up there with 'yeah, your vegeatarian, but you eat chicken, right?!" It's ridiculous,hilarious and bloody annoying! If you have serious allergies it's just downright rude!
XXX

Anonymous said...

What an amazing ski jacket, and an even more amazing story! Hope your man hits the hills and that you get a stall at the jumble sale! Xo

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Fort William ... well, not the most exciting place to be when you are skint! (Or even if you are not!) Love the jacket! What a great place to have a jumble sale!!!!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

freckleface said...

I love your story of the widower who wasn't and the ex con with the alcopops. Your outfit is pretty good too! You look great in that jumpsuit. I've never been to Fort William, the name sounds rather romantic? xx

thorne garnet said...

MD 20/20, we used to call that "Mad Dog". What a hoot. I once found a parka in a dumpster, yes, I worn it for years. Those were the days

Psychocouture said...

Thank you for your comment - interesting blog! :)
Following you :)

TheButterfly said...

nice blog

I'm Following you Hope you doing the same

thebutterflybloog.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Nice photos.
agoratopronta.blogspot.com.br
Vanessa

Gigi.T said...

lovely blog!

Do you want to follow each other? :)
http://fantasyfashioned.blogspot.de/

xx♥

The Vintage Bazaar said...

Looks like a good vintage jumble & great ski jacket. Lizzie

Hola Bambi said...

Great photos x